Search This Blog

Friday, May 01, 2009

Plant Sale!

Whew! Thanks to a wonderful, repeat customer who stopped by today I realized that I haven't been writing about our up coming plant sale. I just didn't realize that if people missed certain posts on my new blog Melanie's Perennials, they would never know that there's a second blog with plant sale information.

Well, it's here!!! The plant sales begin tomorrow (a preview has already happened) and will continue for a number of Saturdays. Mother's Day weekend we hope to hold a selling marathon and we'll be open Friday, Saturday and Sunday that weekend.

Now if only I could figure out how to divide that amazing yellow Baptisia in the opening photo. I only tried to move a Baptisia once, I'd read it was almost impossible. Even though I had the new hole ready and dug as huge a piece as possible, that plant just limps along. I'm so afraid to try it again. Any hints?

We do have lots of yellow Euphorbia polychroma (cushion spurge) and different Nepetas available.

I've even potted up lots of the annual Silene armeria that self sows around here.

Stachys monierri is in pots too, not the purple variety 'Hummelo' but a lovely pink variety that I've had for at least 10 years here.

Hosta 'Janet' was dug up yesterday and made some beautiful full pots.

Hosta 'Stetson' was potted up today too, tomorrow I'd like to get one or two more Hosta out of the ground along with more Astilbe.

If I have any time tomorrow morning the first thing I'll dig is some of these Epimedium and get them potted up as they are in full bloom right now.

Of course it wouldn't be a plant sale without lots and lots of daylilies. This is 'Summer Star' and it truly is a star in my garden. It's only one of the great daylilies potted up.

The good thing is that since I'll be selling through mid July, there'll be lots of time to keep on digging :-)

Today was a damp, drizzly, muddy day. I dug from 8:00am until 7:30pm. Now it's time to go to sleep so tomorrow I can begin all over again :-)

Wonder what I'll dream about...

Melanie

10 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day in the garden! The plant sale sounds fun. Wish I could go(-: Hope all your plants sell and you have a great time(-:

lynn'sgarden said...

Gosh, wish I could get to your sale...great goodies available! I've not had luck with dividing baptisia either. The little seedlings I've moved takes forever to get established. Your Carolina Moonlight is in peak bloom..mine are just a foot high. Have a great weekend, Melanie!

Dave said...

I think I would just leave the baptista and try doing some cuttings. Then you don't have to worry about transplant shock!

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Your customers should be very happy - you have healthy good looking plants!

Unknown said...

Wish I could go. I hope it goes very well.

Gail said...

If I were there I would be there buying your very beautiful plants! Everything I've read Melanie about baptisias says move them at your own peril...they have a huge taproot and you have to get it all. They seed themselves in my garden...that may be the way to go. gail

Joanne said...

Your plants llovely what a pity you are so far away for me to stop by your sale hope all goes well and the weather is fine.

Beth said...

Hi Melanie - does Cushion Spurge take awhile to come up. They usually bloom in the spring and I hardly have any signs of life to my plant. Maybe we had two harsh of a winter. I just got it last year so not sure what to expect ...

Connie said...

A lovely selection of plants...I like the color of the cushion spurge. If I lived in your neighborhood, I would give some of your plants a home. :-)

Anonymous said...

The yellow baptisia...it should germinate pretty reliably from seed. Personally, I'd love to get some!