Search This Blog

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Potting Troughs

Today at Old Country Gardens we're going to have some fun!

This week I purchased a number of beautiful hypertufa troughs. Hypertufa is a mix of cement, peat moss and sand. They look and feel like concrete but they are just light enough that I can lift them.

There's two different sized rectangular ones here, I've already potted up the smaller one and it's just darling (photos to follow). This larger one will be a bit of a challenge, I don't want to fill it all the way, I'd like the plant material to fill in over the season.

The round container is getting me very excited. I think I'd like to mound the soil in the center and find a cool stone to use as an "outcropping" in the planting.

I've purchased all kinds of cool plant material and also dug many different things from my garden so I have no idea yet what will get planted.

If you are in the area you are welcome to come by and watch me work.


Of course we'll also be open for sales. This week I dug some of the plants that customers have been asking for such as Convallaria (Lily of the Valley) and a few small pots of Asarum europeaum (European ginger).

Best of all, we have lots and lots of pots filled with glorious ferns. The japanese painted ferns came from my own garden, the huge pots filled with other ferns are from Fox Hollow Farms.

Then there's the mini hosta, but that will have to be a post on its own!

Off to play in the fog and mist,
Melanie

6 comments:

Joanne said...

Melanie Hi we made a hypertufa pot 20 or more years ago it was vey successful and so easy to make a couple of different sized cardboard boxes and bits of wood to support the inside one until the mix gets strong enough to remove. Not forgetting drain holes. I can't remember the ratio all though I have the leaflet somewhere.

Your planting will be fun. good luck with the sales.

our friend Ben said...

What fun, Melanie! Can't wait to see them when you're done!

Barbara E said...

What a great blog and a great post. I grew up in Jericho, so it makes me feel homesick to see your house and plants. (Don't get me wrong, I love CA!) Anyway, good luck with selling plants.

Melanie Chopay said...

Well, only one trough got potted up but that's ok, I was sidetracked with trying to create the perfect Hosta/Fern combo.

Tomorrow morning we're expecting rain showers so it might be a good day to play with the troughs. My daughter is coming home from college late tonight though and we might want to spend some time going out too. Hopefully I'll remember to take some more photos.

Gail said...

Melanie, I wish I did live nearby...I would pop over for a hello! I love your troughs. Gail

lynn'sgarden said...

Hi Melanie, the varigated iris came back really nice for me...great purchase! I'm hoping to make some hypertufas soon..your planters will be great I'm sure :)