Search This Blog

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Praying Mantis in the garden

Early this past spring I found a number of praying mantis egg cases while doing garden clean-up. During the month of May I did a dozen programs on healthy gardening at our local elementary schools. Part of the program was to bring them egg cases which they kept in tanks in their classrooms until the young praying mantis hatched.

My only concern was that I would not have any praying mantis in my own garden but I kept assuring myself that I couldn't have found all the egg cases and surely there would be mantis young hatching here too.

Yesterday I was thrilled to find this Mantis in the flower bed around my pool. It had perched itself in an ideal spot, right next to a large blooming clump of Sedum. Normally I would feel bad that it was catching bees there but since I'm still itching like crazy from the sting I got on Tuesday, I'm not so upset. Of course I'm joking, I realize how much we need our pollinating insects. Still, I also love watching these cool praying mantis.

I do hope to find one in the front borders too but since that's where I got stung I'm working very slowly out there.

Last night I decided that I would definitely open for sales this Saturday. Guess I'll be working like crazy out there all day today and tomorrow!

3 comments:

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I don't mind when the praying mantis eats the bad bugs, but they become less beneficial in my garden when they eat the bees, butterflies and even go after the hummingbirds.

Sorry you got stung. I have some yellow jackets in the garden right now that keep pestering me.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your sale. I feel my garden is healthy and balanced when I see praying mantis about.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Sorry to hear about the bee sting.... and good luck to the sale! ~bangchik