Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Centerport, my new home

Welcome! It's about time you dropped by to see the place :-)

As promised, here's some images of my new little cottage in Centerport, New York (north shore of Long Island, between Huntington and Northport).

Not everything in my life has changed. As you can see, Calie-the-wonderdoodle still greets any visitors that have managed to find out my little hide-away. At six years old though, Calie has grown a bit wiser. She'll stay on the front stoop if I ask her unless a dog is being walked right along our fence line.



This is the cottage, the whole thing. As you can see, there's not much to it but more than Calie and I need to put a smile on my face. 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room, bath and dining room downstairs, one room upstairs. Life is simple here, I can clean house in one evening!

We have a corner lot. Since each house on my street has only 2 homes, I guess we all have corner lots! The street is only 5 blocks long, so we really are well tucked away from the rest of the world. I love the views out of all my windows, I see flowering trees and shrubs and darling cottages in each direction.

Here's the other side along with the little side yard. Upstairs is a single room my daughters have set up when they are here. At 5'9" poor Lauren can only walk down the very middle of the room. Ouch, banged my own head once too often up there!

I brought what garden accessories I could, probably more than I should have but some just couldn't be given away or left behind. This antique chimney top came back after a wonderful trip with my friend Chris and I will drag it where ever I go.

There's a little garage although I don't use it. My landlord has the most incredible antique red tractor stored in it! A little fish pond is there too. I've put my money pot by that pond, as close to the rear left corner of the lot. The wealth has begun to flow although not cash, just lots and lots of peace, happiness and laughter.

Now here's the real treasure, just 3 short blocks (super steep down hill) is the beach! Sunday I sat there with a beer in hand (pure heaven) and watched this darling Dachshund walk along the water edge side by side with a slowly gliding swan. They continued like this for at least 5 minutes!

I've always loved birds and we have so many here but I will admit I was surprised at just how many swans are on our water. There's easily 30 of them out at one time.

The tide here changes pretty drastically. Our sand is well kept but when the tide is all the way out there's always some green sand. I spent as much time as possible there last summer but didn't go for a swim. Somehow the water doesn't appeal to me that way.

Lots of locals have kayaks and that is something that I am very interested in trying! As you can see, when the tide is out the opposite shore is quite close. We're surrounded with little coves and beaches so a kayak would have plenty of places to visit.

Hope you liked the tour! My new camera came today so soon there'll be lots of garden shots.

melanie









11 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a sweet cottage and I'm sure you'll have lovely gardens surrounding it in no time.

Wishing you peace and joy in your new surroundings and life.

FlowerLady

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I enjoyed the tour(-: Callie looks very happy(-:

Gail said...

Hello Melanie! I found you from an older post on geraniums and was delighted to find you were still blogging. Your cottage is cute, cute, cute. gail, clay and limestone

Anonymous said...

What a peaceful location. Hope the transition is empowering. Thank you for sharing.

Andrew said...

Lovely - Can't wait to see the garden transformation!!!
What is a 'Front stoop'?
I'm from the UK and have never heard this expression before.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog yesterday & placed in my bookmarks so that when I sit for those special times of peace and rest I can visit in your gardens. Thank you for sharing. Your home is lovely!

Elinor Duble said...

Thanks so much for the tour of your new home! I think it’s absolutely charming! A corner lot is great because you get clean air and bright sunshine from more windows and angles. The neighborhood you’ve moved into looks so quiet and tranquil too! All that nature is definitely going to be great for you and Calie!

Melodyec said...

Hey there, Melanie! Just heard from Chris that you will be speaking at the Region 4 meeting next summer. It will be wonderful to see you again!

Mel Campbell

Plant Stands said...

It's now October, and I can imagine by now, things look a lot different from when you moved in...hope your new home continues to delight!

Strawberry Lane said...

What a sweet cottage. Sounds like a lovely area. To me that would be tranquility.

You say you have "lots of peace, happiness and laughter". Couldn't be better than that, the best things life has to offer!

Calvin said...

Just by looking at the picture, I know that you are living a simple life. I can feel how happy you are in this house. I have seen a lot of houses bigger than this, but yours made me realize that it's not about how big or small your house is, rather it's about your life inside it. Being near the beach is such a nice perk to your new home. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your stay!

Calvin Mordarski @City Block Team