Search This Blog

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunday Bloomers


Most mornings I wake up, put on my coffee and once Emily and Don are off for the day, I post to my blog. This Sunday morning the garden was calling my name so sweetly. I had no time to sit here and post, I had to run out there with camera in hand. Here's a few photos of what was waiting for me, try to imagine that all the while I was taking these photos the air was full of bird songs.

The opening shot shows the first of my Pulmonaria to burst into bloom. This is Pulmonaria 'Azurea' and it is by far the best Pulmonaria in my garden (I probably have a dozen varieties). This baby grows by leaps and bounds. Last year I divided a chunk out for the plant sale and it never missed a beat. Look carefully, it has invisible spots!

Not a bloom but wonderful leaf buds are bursting open on the Schizophragma hydrangeoides climbing up our tree ladder.

Look where I found a new Corydalis seedling growing. I can't wait for this baby to bloom.

The Hamamelis 'Arnold Promise' is just about finished. It's delicious scent still perfumes the area but the petals have been falling to the ground. As the sun peeked through the clouds I wondered what was in bloom at the base of 'Arnold'. A close up inspection showed me the lovely yellow foliage of Spirea japonica 'White Gold' just beginning to put on a show. I'll have a close up shot on Tuesday.

Contrary to what I say in every lecture, I do have tulips growing here and they do return every year! I don't know the name of these beauties. I bought them when Emily was in elementary school as part of a fund raiser. I still remember the day she and I planted them.

I attribute their long life to the fact that they are surrounded by Hellebore foetidous foliage and the rabbits and voles steer clear of that area.

As a closing shot, I had to share the sweet little blooms on the Dicentra cucullaria (Dutchman's britches) and check out those awesome pink spikes of Polygonatum odorum 'Variegatum (Soloman's seal) peeking up out of the ground.

This is only half of what was blooming today but I've decided to restrain myself and save the rest for Tuesday when May Dreams Garden hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.

Guess where I'm headed now!

11 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Melanie .. those tulips are gorgeous ! .. I would love to have them too .. so if you ever find the names .. let me know ? .. the Dutchman's Breeches .. I have that on my list as well.
I do have the variegated Solomon's Seal and love it .. slow grower but it is the 4th year now so I am expecting a nice show in that part of my very small garden !
Nice shots !
Joy

Unknown said...

I've never had a problem with my tulip bulbs getting stolen. Cannas, daffodils, crocus... yes. I'm not sure why that is though, not that I'm complaining I just need to discover a secret for those darn pests leaving my bulbs alone!

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I also have a corydalis that came up in a tree, but not at the bottom like yours - this one is about 15 feet up in the crotch of a maple tree in the front yard. I have always suspected the woodpeckers were decorating. Wish I had taken a picture of it to share.

Anonymous said...

I transplanted some Solomon's Seal in the heat of the summer during our drought--and it survived. It came up. I was thrilled. So it must be tough which is opposite of what it looks like. You pics today are just perfect as usual. Sometimes I got to grab my camera and run out the door too. They day just doesn't feel complete without a few photos. It is pretty crazy where a plant will end up--like in the crook of that tree--fascinating.

Esther Montgomery said...

Melanie - mentioned you in blog title today (and put a link at the bottom of the post). Hope that's ok.

Let me know if not!

Esther

(p.s. We've got people coming to lunch. If Ming weren't cooking - it'd be sandwiches! Tehy're almost here!)

tina said...

Lovely pics. I too have the "Schizophrenic" hydrangea. That is what I call it. I have had three years but it has never bloomed, though it does well. Any tips? I am growing it up a telephone pole in my woodland garden. It does get some sun, not much. Okay moisture. I can't seem to train it to climb. The hydrangea petioles? died out, so I put this in. Love your blog!

My garden will be on the Master Gardener tour in June. Not sure if I will cry when people start coming, but I know the gamut of emotions you felt when the 600 people showed up to yours! Hope it goes well, my garden is really whimsical and may not appeal to everyone, but that is ok.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Great shot of the Dutchman's Breeches - they're one of my favorite wildflowers. I'll have to try the Hellebore defense for Tulips.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie!

I love your blog! Your garden is beautiful and inspiring! I too live on Long Island (Huntington)!
I would love to attend your next plant sale. Could you please let me know when the date will be and where it will be held? Thanks so much! Happy gardening!

Melanie Chopay said...

Joy, I'll never find the names of those tulips, I never thought they'd actually last here! None of the other plantings of them worked, it was just the ones by the Hellebores that survived.

Cinj, you are lucky if your tulips didn't get stolen. The only safe bulb here are daffodils since they are highly poisonous and the critters don't eat them.

Nancy, you bet I'll take photos of that corydalis! I'm already planning on watering it with a weak solution of fish emulsion in a few weeks just to make sure it's happy :-)

hoot owl hollow, would have loved to see a picture of that! I just love cool things like mother nature.

Anna, I sing the praises of Solomon's Seal so often that people think I'm crazy. Then they get a piece of the plant from me and they start singing too :-)

Esther, I'll be popping by for a visit in a few minutes. Have Ming save a sandwich for me.

Tina, I had such a hard time with my schizo at first. It doesn't seem to want to climb anything man made, but it's going gangbusters now on an old oak trunk. I had it at least 3 years before it bloomed. Last year I know it bloomed but I don't think it had too many flowers. This year I expect it to finally look like something special.

I wish I could come see your whimsical garden!

Mr. McGregor's daughter, at least the Hellebore defense program is a reason to buy more Hellebores!

Hi anonymous, we'd love to have you at our plant sale! For four years it was at my house but this year we've "graduated" and it will be at Walt Whitman High School (off Jericho and West Hills Rd) on May 10th. I'll post the times and more details as it gets closer.

The specialty plants go quickly so try to plan to come early. There will be at least 30 different varieties of daylilies, most of them are not available at nurseries. Every time I come across something different I post it on my blog. Last year a gardening friend donated clumps of Geranium nudosum and it sold like hotcakes!

tina said...

Thanks for the info on the schizo. It really helps me to get other perspectives on plants. If only to reassure me. :) Come visit anytime you come to Tennessee and you never know I may one day get to Long Island. I am originally from Maine so sometimes travel that way.

The Diva said...

Love your bloomers, Melanie. My tulips don't return every year. I must grow them as annuals, but they are lovely this year with our cool spring.~~Dee