Search This Blog

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Radio-Flyer-ectomy


Yesterday I spent all day outside but just felt like I didn't accomplish very much. The weather hasn't been very cooperative and all too often my fingers were so chilled that I had to come in and run them under warm water.

Today we are expecting perfect gardening weather, sunny with a high temperature of 61 (16 celsius). My first chore of the day will be to perform surgery on my radio flyer wagon. It's been filled with Sedum since the spring of 2005 and last year I noticed that they were a bit cramped.

When I first planted this wagon it also had several types of Sempervivum (Hens and Chicks) in it but they were quickly overrun by the two varieties of Sedum (Sedum 'Angelina' and Sedum
John Creech').
Here you can see what it looked like when it was first planted. Obviously the two Sedums listed above were the big winners in the "crowd-em-out" contest.

I look forward to starting all over again and will take a photo when I'm finished.

Then it's off to divide the hardy Geraniums and spend an hour in the compost area. For some reason, I just can't make myself spend more than an hour working on compost.

Hopefully I'll get to take some new photos also.

8 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Wow I guess they crowded out the poor old semps! What lovely sedums though!(-: Have fun playing in the garden today(-:

garden girl said...

Those sedums are tough! Looking forward to seeing your wagon back in balance Melanie! Hope your weather is better for gardening today.

Looks like I missed my chance yesterday. It was sunny and 50 - today, 40 and rain, so no gardening for me this weekend.

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I found a very old rusted "Radio-Flyer" wagon in a yard sale It has so much character. I have yet to get it planted.

cherry said...

I love this I have been using one to hold potted plants for years it finally fell apart but.....

I just found another one in the woods behind our home!! LOL

One of it's wheels isn't attached but hey I can fix that and now I know exactly what I'm going to do with it.

Thanks for the lovely idea.
hugs, Cherry

Lona said...

I love the radio flyer planter. So cute.I never thought about planting sedums in one. It is different and eye catching.

Connie said...

Cute idea with the sedums in the wagon. I have a collection of old red and white enamalware that I grown them in.

Gail said...

You have to love a plant group that is so responsive and grows so exuberantly! The radio flyer is a great idea...I am glad you had great weather~ gail

Beth said...

I planted white impatiens in a red wagon and it looked great. I love the whimsical feel of old children's toys in the garden. These items used to be quite inexpensive at flea markets but they've jumped in price in recent years.