Search This Blog

Monday, March 30, 2009

Black Gold

One simple photo, so many thoughts!

This photo shows a young Hellebore in my back shade bed. It has a bud about to unfurl.

Looking at this photo my first thought is that I need to get the leaves off the plants in this garden. But wait, there's also a second strong though. Look at all that black gold!

Black gold is what some gardeners like to call compost. These leaves haven't composted enough to be black and crumbly but they are still valuable. I will be careful when cleaning these beds and all these nicely broken down leaves will be added to the compost heap.

Don't bag up and give away your black gold!

Melanie

2 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hi Melanie .. those leaves are essential in protecting my garden babies thought the winter months .. but timing is important to me to get them off at just the right time for the rain to penetrate and the earth around the plants to warm up .. but yes ! it can be black gold for sure : )

Pat said...

Compost is a good thing !!
Leaves do take a little while to decompose but they work too.