Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Planting Fields Arboretum

The Coe Estate at Planting Fields

Today seems like a good day to try something new. I'm adding a label for my posts to see if it changes the layout here. The photos in this post were taken in June 06 by my daughter Emily who was 12 years old at the time. She had come with me to Planting Fields where I attended a meeting of the Long Island Daylily Society. Instead of sitting inside on this stunning day, Emily took my digital camera and went on a tour of the grounds.

This first shot must have been taken near the Horticultural Center.

Here's the first of many arches we'll see.

What would an arboretum be without some specimen trees?

Just one example of the lovely statuary you can find at Planting Fields.

Be still my beating heart. These roses are amazing!

Oh what beautiful colors and textures.

Ok, not daylilies but what lovely yellow lilies.

Closer...

Closest yet!

Wish this was a scratch and sniff photo. These rose arches are stunning.

Up close and personal with one of the rose arbors.

Ha! I wish I had the name of this handsome fellow. I'll take a guess and say it's Eremurus, the fox tail lily?

Fairy roses tumbling all around.

Fairy roses and a Kousa dogwood.

Goldilocks would love this place!

Truly, a cottage garden.

Yet another arch, this one is all green.

What a nice place to sit for a while.

Here I thought I knew every inch of Planting Fields and yet Emily found a pond I have never seen. It's hidden well, but we've got some clues to it's location.

Mr. Turtle is sunning himself on a log.

Mr. Turtle and the goldfish have a lovely lily to gaze upon.


My smart girl took this photo and also took a picture of the garden name. So now I can tell you that this is the Heather garden. That sweet pond is hidden at the top of this photo.

Arches again, these are of stone.

This little pond is in a great spot, it just needs some more planting attention.

What a cool roof-line!

On beautiful days, one often comes upon wedding parties taking photos at the arboretum.


The End
(thanks Emily!)

5 comments:

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

I grew on up Long Island. Planting Fields Arboretum was one of my favorite places to go. Funny, I don't recognize anything from your photos. It's been decades. Do they still have the giant Beech tree on the lawn?

Do they still have the creepy mortuary, uh, museum with all the dead stuffed animals? I most remember the Passenger Pigeon.

Melanie Chopay said...

I almost put a photo of that Beech in the post but it died this past year and I didn't want people to think it was still there.

It's such a shame it died, they tried everything to save it. I do think that they managed to get some cutting from it so they can start it all over again.

Gotta Garden said...

Very nice tour! It's like being there!

Sherry said...

Your daughter has a very good eye, can't believe she was so young when she took them!

Do you know the identity of the green archway toward the end of the photos?

Melanie Chopay said...

Sherry, I wish I knew what that green arch was planted with. I'm weak on my evergreen shrubs and trees.

If I had to guess, I'd say something like a Hinoki Cyprus (Chamaecyparis Obtusa). I had one growing in the garden here and it had that lovely cloud like form.

Next time I get to Planting Fields I'll have Emily take me to that spot and we'll see if there's a name plaque there.