Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2008

Baby it's Cold outside!

(Taken in 2001, this photo shows my old cottage garden.)

After somewhat balmy February temperatures (for Long Island), we woke up this morning to 8 degrees (-13.3 Celsius). Brrrrrrr! My poor plants have no warm snowy blanket on them, I hope they are all sound asleep right now.

(2007 brought us beautiful walkways (safe too) but no more cottage plants here.)

So what's a garden crazed person to do when it's too cold to even go for a walk? Visit other gardeners online! Last fall my blog was added to a gardening blog site at www.blotanical.com. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of a garden funk, burnout after years of planning and participating in a national garden tour. With no posts being made to my blog and no visits on my own, my blog at www.blotanical.com lingered at the bottom of the list, almost in no-man's land.

Ah ha! Once the holidays finally barreled through here, that feeling began to creep up on me. You know that feeling...you begin to haunt the 635 section at your public library. When it comes time to check out your books you always seem to have the heaviest stack in sight! Scraps of paper begin to appear all over with mysterious words scribbled on them such as "Lysimachia ephemerum - Must have!". It's times like this I'm thankful I don't have a house keeper. She'd probably find these notes and think I have some rare disease.

At this time of year your car automatically stops at the local hardware giant where even though you know it's awfully early, you find yourself lingering at the gardening section trying to avoid the fact that it's still stuffed with Christmas clearance items.

(The view from our breezeway out to the street, summer of 2007)


Once back at home, you can't stay away from your computer. Stored in this little box that sometimes drives me insane are thousands of glorious photos of gardens, perennials, bulbs, trees, shrubs, herbs, annuals, tropicals and so much more. Better yet, you are only a click away from visiting others. Others who understand this itch you can't scratch, the need to get out in the garden and get some dirt under your fingernails.

(Luscious plants waiting to be adopted by winter crazed gardeners)

The first sign of spring around here is almost always a visit to Hicks Nursery Flower and Garden show. This morning I was sure I'd have another six weeks to wait for that event but after visiting www.hicksnurseries.com I was thrilled to find out that opening day is February 29th!

Hooray, that's not far away at all. Of course, I know that the first week of March is too early for most plant purchases. Still, the smells, sights and sounds of that show are the best tonic for this spring fevered individual. Pots of Hellebores in full bloom, seeds galore and lots of summer bulbs will come home with me. Oh yes, of course some deliciously scented Primrose and Pansies for the kitchen table come home too.

Best of all, there's always a new idea or concept to see at Hicks. It may not be the Philadelphia flower show, but it's here on Long Island and we love it. This last photo (number 5 for those of you counting photos) shows a concept that I loved at last year's show. I've already got the iron gazebo but it disappears from view in my garden. By bordering this one with moss rock and tucking those plants in, you have an instant (almost instant) garden oasis.

Off to dream about the garden, and don't forget, come visit us at www.blotanical.com. While you're there, browse around, hit the favorites and popular tabs and don't forget to click on me and say "hello" while you are there!

Thinking green...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved you post today!!! I too am looking at gardening books and drooling. Time to get back in the manure and dirt under our fingernails. Your gardens looked beautiful and I'm sure you'll figure out a way around having less space with the new path. It all looks good. We like a lot of the same plants.

Anonymous said...

The only way I survive this cold weather is with a greenhouse....and I'm in Georgia. Melanie, you've got to get one. Alwyas love your posts.

Phillip Oliver said...

Blotanical is how I found your blog and I haven't had a chance yet to catch up on it. So far I've really enjoyed what I've seen. Your photos are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

If you like Hellebores especially those with Green flowers - You have to see the Heronswood Nursery collection which includes Helleborus x hybridus 'Phoenix'. Masses of olive green flowers with a burgundy margin bloom in early March.