Search This Blog

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Garden Basics - G - O

"G" is for Ground cover - (Beware, check under "I" for more information)

"H" is for Herb - Not all are Edible (Ruta graveolens - Rue)


"I" is for Invasive (sometimes called ground covers)


"J" is for Journal - something a gardener should always have.
(These are for my students tonight, I have 15 in total, hope it's enough!)

"J" is also for Junk in the garden
(this planted toaster was spotted in New York Botanical Gardens)

"K" is for Knowledge - Did you know that I wrote chapter 6 in "The Daylily - A Guide for Gardeners" and took the photos in that chapter plus the front cover photo?)

"L" is for Lawn (no more words needed)



"M" is for Money or Moolah (or what ever you call it when you make a budget that you never seem to stick to.)



"N" is for Native or Natural (Rhododendrons are native to our area but covering them with sparkles like these folks did at a flower show is NOT natural)


"N" is also for Nursery - A place where you spend your "M"

"O" is for Organic - Great things like compost tea made from this beautiful pink Symphytum (Comfrey) are organic.

That's it for today folks, I've got to run, and be in 3 places at one time. Will be back tomorrow with more of the alphabet.

8 comments:

Frances, said...

This is a great series! Can't wait for the rest. Love the M for moolah showing the big piece of equipment, that will eat up those $$$$$.

Frances at Faire Garden

Meems said...

Very clever and fun to read. That letter "m" and "n" for nursery always have a way of taking precedence over many other letters. Can't wait to see the rest of your alphabet.
Meems @ hoeandshovel

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I can't imagine anyone putting glitter on azaleas, how tacky. It's like the gaudy poinsettias at Christmas. nature?

Anonymous said...

Love it. Good luck tonight! Call me when you get home? I have to talk to you about tomorrow

Melanie Chopay said...

Hi all, Thanks for the nice comments. I'll be back home late tonight but wanted to quickly thank all of you for visiting!

kate said...

This was a fun post - when I saw the photograph for the letter 'I', I could feel my blood pressure rise. I once engaged in battle with houttuynia and it triumphed ... bits and pieces of it continued to travel everywhere. It loved damp, heavy dirt. If I had planted it, I'm sure I would have been more tolerant but boy, that plant was invasive.

Amazing to see glitter on rhododendrons.

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea for a post, Melanie! Now I must go back and read the first one while waiting for the next...

Anonymous said...

Congrats, it all looks clever and fun to talk about. I wish I could be there taking the class. You made it so fun. Great job.