Search This Blog

Monday, June 30, 2008

Hypericum 'Brigadoon'

Two weeks ago when I attended the local daylily club meeting, they had a sale going on. Members brought in plants from their gardens and sold them in the back of the room. Most of the plants were perennials and since I was running late, I missed seeing most of the choice plants.

One member though had a few special things left. Frank and his wife Laura are known to collect unusual specimens so I looked very carefully. There were two pots of Hypericum 'Brigadoon'. Now I've never been too excited by Hypericum but I thought "why not" and decided to bring one home.

The plant is in a one gallon pot and had lots of yellow buds. The Hypericum I have in my garden has small nickle size single blooms and that's what I expected with this one.

Imagine my surprise when the first bud opened up and I saw this flower! Wow!!! It's a "stop you in your tracks" kind of bloom.

This time I vow to do my research and give this beauty the correct location. The sites I've looked at so far show it with golden foliage. The plant I have has a light green foliage but then those sites also say that it needs full sun to get that lighter foliage. I don't think Frank & Laura have that much full sun so it will be interesting to see what happens when I give it a prime spot.

Now I just have to decide if it's going in the long driveway bed or the rock wall around the pool. Right now I'm leaning towards the pool area as it's a summer time bloomer.

I'll take a photo again once I decide where to place this beauty.

11 comments:

Gail said...

Melanie,

Is that a shrub variety or a groundcover? It is a lovely flower!

gail

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I got this one last year and it does have glowing gold foliage with about a half day of sun. Expect it to really stand out in the garden. So far mine is a small shrub.
Jane

Wurzerl said...

Dear Melanie, how funny I planted the same Hypericum one week before. It' s growing now as an groundcover between my day lilies.
The other Hypericum with the little blooms is growing in my rock garden in the sun.
I think you will have a lot of joy with this wonderful yellow blossoms!!!
Have a great time Wurzerl

Anonymous said...

Verry nice blog. I'll be back. Hello from Belgium (Europe)!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Hi Melanie,

It's so nice to catch up on what's blooming :). I see Calie must be behaving herself :). If you get a chance to stop by I have something for you! Everything looks so wonderful and growing.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I have some hypericum not sure the variety. it grows a little taller then the ground cover varieties though. I hope you have a wonderful vacation. I will be here when you return(-:

Sherri said...

Hi Melanie! This is the first time on your Blog! Don't you just love those kind of plant sales-I do! I have found some really magnificent plants to add to my garden that way! Enjoy!

garden girl said...

Melanie, I hope you have a wonderful trip! When you get back, there's an award waiting for you at my place. (http://gardengirl-lintys.blogspot.com/2008/07/arte-y-pico-award.html)

Carol Soules said...

You certainly lucked out!! What a splendid bloom!
I'm sure you'll find a greta spot for it.
Carol
terranovadesign.blogspot.com

Dave said...

That is a every interesting flower. I've got quite a few places that could use a full-sun ground cover!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Melanie .. I have to laugh .. I just did a search on this plant because I bought it once I saw those amazing flowers .. and there your blog popped up ! Too funny !
Joy/GardenJoy