Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Too big for their britches

Oh woe is me, too many plants trying to grow in one spot. This happens every year, either something seeds itself into a spot where it doesn't belong or I just make a mistake and plant things too close.

In this case the two Sedums were planned. A tiny little Sedum (possibly nevii) and the larger Sedum 'Vera Jameson' were encouraged to grow in this spot but the big Digitalis (fox glove) moved in. I guess I have to get in there and remove the foxglove but boy is that going to hurt.

The Hosta on the left is 'American Sweetheart', it was planted there last year. The tag said it would get 18" tall and 36" wide. Uh huh, it's already taller than 18" and I seriously doubt it's going to stop at 36" wide. I searched the web last night but everything has the same measurements. Anybody else grow this beauty? I'm thinking it will need to be moved pretty soon if I don't want them to hit the leaves when they mow the lawn.

Off the top of my head I can think of two more places where there's a serious crowding spot. In one location a lovely Ligularia seeded itself just an inch or two from a large Hosta. In another spot a Dicentra Spectabilis (Bleeding Heart) seeded next to Hosta 'Striptease'. In both cases the Hosta were late emergers and now have to fight the lush foliage of their overabundent neighbors.

Last night I typed out this same post and though I hit the send key but this morning there was nothing waiting for me in cyber space. If two of these posts suddenly appear here you'll know what happened.

3 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hi Melanie! I find foxgloves here and there in my garden. What is interesting, they don't like to be moved and don't grow well in the places that I consider perfect. They choose absolutely poor, tough soil and grow taller than me there!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to having an overcrowded issue in my garden. Right now my gardens are too young. I'm catching up fast though.

Unknown said...

I have a lamb's ear plant that thinks it doesn't have to share garden space with anything. I've already transplanted a big patch and it's growing back with a vengence!