Search This Blog

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Filipendula 'Kakome'

Oh no, I think I've fallen head over heels, madly in love with a plant in my garden.

Our lousy cool wet morning slowly turned into a beautiful day. As the weather improved, we started having visitors come to see our open garden. It wasn't until the mid afternoon that I really noticed this plant and then I just couldn't stop visiting it!

One of the first blogs I wrote was about this plant. It was a mystery plant to me, I bought it at a local nursery at the insistence of a gardening friend. Luckily she remembered the name, Filipendula 'Kakome'. (That post is the second to last post under the label "Plant Profile")


When I first planted this in my garden I had no idea what kind of conditions it would need. I planted it in extremely dry shade. Since it's a semi-shade, moisture lover, I'm thrilled that it survived in my garden. While I noticed it before, it wasn't until I moved a piece into a sunnier spot near our sprinkler that I saw what this baby could do. This photo is of the piece that's still in the dry shade area.

Here's a photo from the back side of the sun border with the Filipendula in the lower left corner.

Tonight as I downloaded my photos on to the computer I realized that I took nine different shots of this bloom. I guess I was totally smitten ;-

It looks like cotton candy with little pearl tufts rising above it. Sigh... what a dream flower...

Oh yes, there was another new flower that blew me away today so stay tuned, I'll post about it tomorrow.

Melanie

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I have not seen that before. It is very pretty and yes, interesting indeed!

buspaintings.blogspot.com said...

Your photographs have become an inspiration each morning. I live in Texas and grow very few flowering plants - I am an artist and flowers are a main subject! Please could I have your permission to use some of your photos for paintings? kmcelwaine@ymail.com
or visit my blog and send me a comment.
buspaintings.blogspot.com

Gail said...

Queen of The Prairie and LI! It's a beauty~~gail

GartenGrl at Cool Garden Things said...

I do believe that plant is called queen of the prairie...it is lovely. I just planted one recently for a lady I garden for...it is quite nice...sort of a wetland native...
GartenGrl at Planning Plants to Plant

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

What a beauty! It looks like baby clouds growing in your garden! Queen of the Prairie - such a pretty name, as well.

I'll have to check to see if that little guy would grow here in NS.