Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

SUNY Farmingdale

Today I met a few women from my garden club and we were treated to a tour of the horticultural learning gardens at SUNY Farmingdale University.

This first shot was taken at the entrance gate.

Although we were there for a short time, I think I'll break down the visit into three posts. This first post is just to share some of the awesome images I brought home with me.

The plant material was grown to perfection, even with the never ending rain we've been getting this season. I love this combination of the dwarf Aruncus athusifolius and the Pulmonaria 'Mrs Moon'.

I didn't take a photo of the name tag for this so I'm not sure if it's a Heliopsis or a Helianthus (I always get them mixed up). Behind it is Physocarpus (Nine bark).

Another combination that blew me away is Astilbe 'Deutschland' and the variegated Symphytum 'Axminster Gold'.

Sheer luck! How's this for a shot of a butterfly on Stachys bloom? I can't believe it came out this clear as it was in constant motion.

Centaurea macrocephala is something I've tried by mail order but I need to get myself a large one of these so I get to see it grow in my garden.

Papyrus in the entrance garden. This garden is planned to peak in late summer, I hope to get back and see it then.

Clematis and a Rose, sheer heaven.

Finally, the blue on this little bulb Brodiaea laxa 'Queen Fabiola' is just Fabulous! I think I'll be looking for this beauty for my own garden.

The next post will be either about the structure in the garden or the shade rockery. Both were just awesome.


7 comments:

Sheila said...

It looks like it was a lovely day!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

What beautiful plants. I'll look for your late summer pictures.

Beth said...

I'm trying the Centaurea macrocephala this year and it's getting very big already. Can't wait to see it bloom .... hope it looks like the one you posted.

Unknown said...

So pretty, I love to see places like that. I enjoyed the pics from the a/c lol....

Sylvia (England) said...

Melanie, I know I am in for a lovely garden treat when my husband is moaning that he can't get me out of the car park! So few gardens have lovely planting in the car park. Lovely images, I am looking forward to the next post.

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

lynn'sgarden said...

Melanie, thanks for this pretty tour..what a great way to spend the day!

Anonymous said...

My sister had her wedding pictures taken there in July, 2000, the flowers were awesome!
I might have to mosey on over and check it out!
Bonnie